Thursday, December 27, 2007

Black Holes

--this is a little graphic design journey. read what i write. it will help you understand.--

I really like this laundromat.

For my graphic design class, we had to choose a location to host an imaginary conference. The conference had to have a topic that dealt with something fantastical--out of the ordinary--bizarre... and so I chose to do mine at the laundromat on the topic of black holes. My inspiration for the black holes topic was this 25 cent bouncy ball machine.i bought three bouncy balls, scanned them, and found out that scanned bouncy balls look like planets, and are kind of creepy. creepy in a good way.
ahh! i didn't know what was happening with the scanned bouncy balls, and somehow it led me to think of black holes, and there stood my topic. my conference was going to be held at the laundromat, and would be a panel discussion on the nature of black holes.
We had to choose 3 speakers for the conference. Mine were an astronaut, a bottle of bleach, and a grandmother. It's easy figure out how I came up with the first two, but the third one was inspired by all of the paraphernalia like this that I found in the midst of the washers and dryers:
We had to collect colors and shapes and ideas from our place, so here are some photos I took:
this is 5 of about...200 that exist of my laundry spinning.
i love nuances. and i love watching laundry spin and photographing it and then examining it afterward. so much fun!
i know. i know.
//////////////////////////////////////////
and here's my first attempt at my advertising poster.
essentially, its pretty bad.
The poster is made to be 30x30 inches, so click to see the small type...
I'm experiencing the importance of pushing through ideas-- making and making and making in order to come out with your best work-- so I used a new photo, redid the type, reNAMED it, and made a constellation out of this: here's try number two-- which is a lot better, but not quite there yet. I actually thought I was done at this point, but my professor (hi Mark!) thought that it needed something more on the edges, and reminded me I hadn't included any grandma clues.
Perfect time to add roses!Here's the finished one!
click on it if you want to see it in its glory state.

translation:
Where did all the socks go?
A panel discussion on the nature of black holes
Tuesday January 15th, 10am
at Laundry Coin Op Laundry
(on the right, swirling with the whiteness) Featuring an Astronaut, a Grandmother, and a Bottle of Bleach



secret: the S of Socks is REALLY IN THE LAUNDRY!! the cuff of my green sweater magically miraculously fatefully amazingly was the shape of an S.
and this is why you try try try again and again and again and take 200 pictures of laundry spinning.

6 comments:

Hollie Shannon said...

#1: you are a genius
#2: i can point out your articles of clothing in the spinning laundry
#3: I NEVER KNEW THE S WAS THE LAUNDRY UNTIL NOW!
#4: I'm even more amazed now.

Anonymous said...

i'm pretty sure i saw your underwear in the washing machine...

just kidding, hi :)

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

Shannon...you are amazing!

Shannon said...

i... really love that you can point out my clothes in this hol. that makes me so so happy.

Unknown said...

you are UH-mazing, miss leith.

um, i'm pretty sure i'm even more in love with you. if that's even possible. tell your boyfriend he has some competition....

Unknown said...

p.s. i thought about making that last comment anonymous but figured that would freak you out and give you a heart attack so i decided against it. i know, thoughtful, right?