Friday, October 17, 2008

yoga: my athletic calling

I have always been really, truly bad at sports...
and anything that includes hand-eye coordination.

really bad.


I always got straight-A's in school, except for a C- in PE. Every year.

I've been reluctant to even TRY things like mild jogs around the neighborhood, biking to school instead of driving, playing volleyball at the beach or dancing.

I hate the sound of all of that. Yes, I do own a really amazing vintage schwinn yellow bike, but here's the truth: I drive my car point-two-five miles to school about 95% of the time instead of biking.

deep down i'm scared of physical exercise.



It is a miracle that I'm good at yoga.
I'm a natural, actually, according to my instructor.

i've never been good at anything athletic in my life,
and finally,
HERE IT IS.
yoga!
i love it!


yes thats me: !!!! ahhh! yes!
my roommate Ro and I go to a class
together a few times per week
AND--- this is my roommate Danika...
rockin it in the middle of the Paris airport.
and then Candice and I.... loving our lives and strengthening our core.


and we do it in a 103 degree heated room.
BIKRAM!
life changing!

i love how it starts my day with quiet, and starts my day with remembering that i am human.  i love that it makes me feel clean and energized.  i love how it calms my stress.  i love drinking water after class.  all of that.
---- shannon leith, aspiring yogi

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the long-awaited memorial to your truest gift in life, being able to make yourself into a pretzel. I'm so proud of you. I am sending this entry to all the grandparents.
Mom.

Heather Leith said...

remember that one time we were going to go do yoga in a sauna, but then we woke up late, so we went back to sleep and planned to go to the next class, but we woke up late again, so we just gave up?

hahah.
oh, and about cinderella- we perform tuesday at 10:30, the next wednesday at 11, and november 5th at like 10:30. there are a couple other shows, but i'm unsure. can you make it down here on a weekday morning?

Anonymous said...

hooray for talent!

(soo glad you have no talent for dancing!!!)

Carrie Allen said...

i took yoga two summers ago and i became obsessed. it rocked my world and made me such a calmer person, even to this day. i need to get back into it. and danika...wow...i wish i could do that...

Jennifer of VanSuydam Photographers said...

Hahahaha, oh, Shannon, you are so funny. Come to Northern New York. :)