Sunday, April 8, 2007

Easter Bonnets

My mom is really into holidays.
Background info on her holiday loving: for Christmas she numbers our gifts and has a categorized, coded master-list that she refers to throughout the present opening process-- and for Halloween she dresses up as a senile old woman and pretends its Christmas--forcing the kids to sing Christmas carols. For Easter, she still has us do an egg hunt.
Now, I have 3 brothers and 1 sister, all younger-- but we range in age from 13 to 20-- we're not small anymore. Imagine us all lined up, listening to the elaborate system she had created:
You can only take 1 of the big colorful eggs, but there is one extra so whoever gets that one is lucky, but make sure everyone else has one first. Oh- and there is only 2 chocolate caramel eggs per person, but the laffy taffy and jolly ranchers are unlimited, and so are the sweet tarts. Everyone understand?

The funny part about her explanations was that all the candy was out in the open. Nothing was really....hidden. When she told us we were allowed to GO (keep in mind: we're ages 13-20...), the boys just got competitive and bolted across the yard to collect all the treats they'd be eying while the rules were being stated.Oh, I forgot: we all got easter "bonnets". Oh my gosh. I am laughing as I write this. We all had to wear the hats for a picture, then they transformed into our candy gathering baskets. Mom, you're a hoot. The guy 2 from the right is Jesse-- Ryan's friend.



Heather Ryan Jason Me Jesse Carson

Ryan got quite protective of his collection, to the point of hitting other people and stealing their candy when they weren't looking.
Heather and I :) Us girls have to stick together.
She's the one with the witty, amazing blog.

Don't my mom and Heather look exactly alike?
I like to annoy Ryan by jumping onto his back.

He really really hates it. I really really love it.
Jason: the classic middle-child. Live somewhere other than California?
These are Birds of Paradise, and they're all over the place.My house!Carson, my rock star brother.

My my my. We all decided that this Easter has been our favorite so far. We all made fun of it, but secretly loved it. ;)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your Easter Bonnet, Shan ;)

Shannon said...

i hope youre not making fun of me Brady.

blythe said...

i love the Leiths! glad your mom is keeping such traditions alive, regardless of your increasing ages and waning interest.

Shannon said...

haha-- she's the reason our interest is kept. My mom rules.

Anonymous said...

haha, i'm not making fun... you look cute in your hat :)

Brent said...

Your mom is great.

I love the Canadas!

Heather Leith said...

wow. wowowowow.
1. This post made me very happy. You are such a fun writer.
2. These pictures make me even more happy. They truly embody the Leiths. These pics are us in a nutshell.
3. Thanks for the compliment.
4. The end.

joanna (: said...

Shannon Leith.
I had to comment this post. This is my favorite post ever. It sums up the Leith Children in one beautiful array of words and photographs. And why does CarCar look so disgruntled?
I truly praise you for a wonderful post.
-JOANNAAAAA