Thursday, October 23, 2008

some more Tropicana 4x5 photos-----

Here's my next exploration of Tropicana with the 4x5 camera, complete with my digital proofs. If I could encourage you with one bit of insight, it's to be open with your expectations.

All of these photos came out differently than I envisioned, but they all ended up with qualities that I absolutely love. I am learning to not get caught up in fear, but to just go for it. In this case... I had total fear of a new piece of equipment that I wasn't very familiar with, but since this was a project for my photography class, there was no option! I had to do it!


Here's the first example of a completely different outcome that I had intended. These got exposed to a bit of extra light, and therefore: yellow! ha--- i totally love it.

here's the digital. i think the yellow actually makes the photo better by highlighting the shadows. and to me, its unbelievable that they are done on FILM--- with no photoshop. Natural weirdness. love it.
i hate this one, it's boring to me,
here's our nice pool-centerpiece.
clearly quite underexposed
or--- i could call it NIGHT.
also underexposed, but love it love it
and ha--- here's the digital version. the light meter was broken i think... either that, or I'm deficient... but like I said up there--- the weird mess-ups are intriguing to me.---sunrise---

here's my setup for those two shots,
MY FAVORITE ONE OF THE DAY!
(well, battling the 2nd yellow one)
and--- the setup.
now. see that window on the top right? a guy was in a shower singing opera while i was taking the shot, so i tiptoed around and tried not to make noise so i didn't creep him out.
film
digital
setup
film!
digital!


love!



now--- what i DON'T want to communicate... is that a lack of technical skill is okay. I think that I should get better at exposure... and get better at not exposing my film to light.

but,

since I sincerely tried my best, I can have two attitudes to the yellow, underexposed outcome.

one, hate the photos, reshoot, feel bad about myself,

or two, embrace the photos, love them, learn how to improve next time, and have rockin naturally yellow photos that would never be seen unless i saw potential in them.


this is where my optimism comes into play very well,
because i choose option two.




can you comment and tell me an option two situation you've encountered this week?
please?

love to you,
shannon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for choosing option 2!

On the technical side of things...

Loading film holders is hard, especially when you are new at it. Do it in the light a few dozen times with the same piece of film, then once you get it down, use a big changing bag and it will be easier... you ought to be able to buy one from eBay for almost free!

You are using a camera with bellows, you are going to need to increase exposure over what your hand held meter reads depending on your lens and extension... I can't recall specifics, but can give details later :)

No option two experiences this week, but I am humble!!!

Heather Leith said...

oh pick me!

i didn't make the musical at school, but i sincerely tried hard.

option a: cry and complain and be a stupid diva.

option b: be a little sad, abviously, but get over it and try out next year.

option b was what i chose, and the director told me that the only reason i didnt make it was because the cast was super small, and he told me that i would for sure make future ones.

i love how we are the same personality. go with the flow, embrace mistakes, love life, relax.
go option b.

Heather Leith said...

oops, i meant obviously.
not abviously.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon, I miss it when you don't blog - I check YOU for new things whenever I can get on internet. Sometimes it is here in our camper, sometimes it is in a library, sometimes it is in an internet cafe, sometimes it is in a friends home, BUT I get on somehow and find out what is happening!!! Youre the best and I love you, GR MA