Saturday, February 16, 2008

my family, part 1

One word I like to use to describe my photography is exploratory. I use photos as one of the ways I explore the world... especially the nuances and uniqueness of the people who are in my life.

For my photography class this semester I'm working on a series on my family, because I had a realization that I've never really used my family-members as subjects for any of my art projects. Of course I've taken photos of them at family events or outings, but I've never done a planned portrait session with anyone in my family. Why search high and low for models when you can use the people who are right in front of you (and who all happen to... look like models)?

So, this is the first post of many to come about greg, shelley, ryan, jason, carson and heather leith. it will include self portraits too, since i'm part of the bunch.

Here's my mom, Shelley
she, is, beautiful
and i love this one. this is Ryan,
adorable as always
with a little attitude,and we've decided that jason is
officially the funniest one out of all of us,
and he's also sly
and here's a self portrait.
a hold-the-camera out self portrait
i was alone in my house,

so, there they are.
4 of the 7 of us.
more to come. :)
shannon

4 comments:

Ellen said...

ohhh, three of the four blondies, eh?

(for the record, i didn't put that eh in there because you are canadian, it's because sometimes i wish i were).

and I like your self-taken portrait.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon, this is going to be really great for me to see. When I'm way up here in the North Woods (that's where we are) it is good to see faces of those I love. Your starting pictures are WONDERFUL! love ya GR MA

Heather Leith said...

you won't be able to take mine for a while, unless you are doing a "my sister resembles a basketball" feature.

and i am also currently unable to move my face. its like a have a stroke.

Shannon said...

grandma! hi :) we can make you a compilation album for christmas or something!

heath- you sweetie. sorry your face is big. can you talk?