Wednesday, November 14, 2007

my Madeleine L'Engle project

I've been working on this project for about a month-- anyone who lives with me or talks to me has heard about it multiple multiple times (thanks for enduring.)

Its an type specimen book for the typeface Bodoni, but with a little Madeleine L'Engle, Wrinkle in Time twist. I can't believe I haven't blogged about Madeleine since she passed away a few months ago...she's my favorite author (oh man we have the same birthdayyy). It's one of those subjects that I just have too many thoughts about so it seems overwhelming to write a little blog post about something with so many layers.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with this project. Typesetting is really fun for me. And-- it was really great to revisit A Wrinkle in Time. That book is amazing. Does anyone else feel like they ARE Meg?? ii do.

So, here's a glimpse into what I'm doing in school these days.
If you're interested in the words but can't read them, click and they will get bigger.

I never knew typefaces were so complex. But WOW. They are. Each little curve in each letter has been scrutinized over for months. Whew! Next time you open Word... be thankful that you haven't had to create the LETTERS that you type with. eh?

in this one I'm showing all the different versions Bodoni comes in-- bold, roman, italic... the first page of A Wrinkle in Time, the way I see it,
!! When I saw this phrase in the book, I was so excited. I SAY THIS TOO! yet another reason why Madeleine and I are soulmates. that small type at the bottom says i bet she IS the tramp. I bet she DID steal those sheets.i like things nice and airy and white.
ha, or nice and black.
this is how i showed all the punctuation:
another fave.
the right page shows the anatomy of each specific letter
a nice simple one.
i love that Madeleine is so SCIENCEY but her work is still accessible. Another reason i love her, is that i like chemistry and outer space and math, and so, does, she. sigh.turns out... tesseract's a real word.
rock it!

wooo,
shan!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shan,
this is amazing. It is so much more artistic than I was imagining. I thought you had to do this boring analysis of the angles and elements of each letter, but this is utterly fascinating. I can't wait to "read" the whole thing!
Mom

Shannon said...

yup-- no boringness allowed. i'll bring it home for you next time i come!

Sethicus said...

Wow! Wow wow wow!! You've done an amazing thing with this, Shannon!!

Shannon said...

whew-- coming from the typeMASTER--- thanks man!

Anonymous said...

i love all of your designs, particularly, the punctuation!

MK Reynolds said...

this is amazing! I really liked the page of blackness :)

Paige said...

Shannon, this is amazing! Madeleine L'Engle is my favorite author too. I feel like Meg all the time! Do you have a hard copy to bring to class (the space one, of course!)? I would love to see it--Paige

Jill Duarte said...

Just stumbled upon your blog through a friend's blog. Absolutely love your work. My favorite page is the numbers. As an artist, I love the interaction between positive and negative space on a page and I absolutely LOVE variations in type. Thanks for sharing!

Shannon said...

oh my gosh-- paige! we need to talk about our Megness sometime. ohh MAN-- she is a beautiful soul, isn't she? I'll totally bring the hard copy to our spacey class next time.

hey jill! i'm glad you like the negative space!! thats my favorite way to create page-explosionssss.

Heather Leith said...

wow. wow. wow.

this is so simple, yet says so much.

just the way i (and you) like it.

Unknown said...

ok yeah, i didn't know you did graphic design too. veeerrryyy snappy, you really know how to make negative space look it's best with just the right small accents!