Friday, November 9, 2007

Holga images from Old Town Orange

Yes, I will still stay true to Polaroids, but I have found a new love.
the Holga.
its a plastic toy camera that uses medium format film and produces the coolest images, mainly because the camera is so crappy. i love the aesthetic of holga photos-- they are usually blurry and vignetted and have weird coloring. in my eyes, PERFECT!!

my friend Brady gave me one for my birthday, {which isn't until November 29th-- but early presents are way more fun!!!} so while he was visiting last week we used it around Old Town Orange, which is one of my favorite places to hang out and shoot.

Now, it was such a coincidence that Brady bought me one, because I had been borrowing one from the art department at my school THAT WEEK!! I had never shot with a Holga before, and wanted to try it out. When he gave me my ownnnnn I was so excited :)!

The rolls I shot with the one from school are terrible.
Seriously, terrible.
I decided to develop the film in the darkroom myself,
and only three of the photos turned out.
And they're completely grey and blurry.

As you can see here,
the photos are,,,,, not my best.
they look way cooler in this picture than they look in real life. believe me on this one.
try number two came out with much more success. probably because i didnt develop them myself, and probably because i remembered to tape up the back so it didn't fly open like it did on the last roll.
okay, branches and alleys are just interesting to me EVERY TIME i see them. every time.these are really color, but i decided that they look rad in black and white. well, and the wall is white anyway.i love how it gave me a cool silhouette and teal sky. mmm.
here's it is, alive and well on my front patio,

i have a ton of rolls of film for it(apparently brady has hundreds lying around his house?), so I plan to shoot with this a lott!

oooh- and again, I'll lay it out there: I'll do a purely polaroid and holga wedding for free if you're up for the uncertainty of toy-film-cameras.
:)

iiiiiiiiii'd do it.
my husband who is yet to be named better be up for it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love those photos!

and it is so cool that you actually wanted what i got you, it was just a crazy random idea that i had a few months ago :)

consider yourself hired to photograph my wedding with a holga and polaroids one day in the distant future...

Shannon said...

YESSSSSSSSSSS! ONE CUSTOMER! alright, now go find yourself a girl okay? i really want to do this wedding pronto. i'm so excited about it. hurry brady hurry.

Anonymous said...

Awww, sorry Shan, I think it's going to be at least a few more years :)

Shannon said...

dang itttttttttt.

Ronnie Ruiz said...

I love my holga and brought with me to the northwest but just haven't used it yet, darn!!
maybe tomorrow on my way home to Montana . . .
Ronnie

megan said...

Oh my gosh. I have recently fallen in love with the holga too!! I am seriously obsessed. I took a bunch of shots in texas last weekend that I'm super excited about. Looks like I'll be seeing you in the darkroom. .

Jessy Russell said...

I would totally let you fly out to New Orleans and let you photograph my wedding a la Holga/Polaroid. But then again, I'm a guy; I don't mind uncertainty. My fiance on the other hand...not so much. Also, we've already begun paying our photographer, with his snazzy "modern" cameras and such. He's a pretty cool guy though, www.matthewfosterphotogaphy.com.

Shannon said...

jessy,
fly me out! i'll do it man.

meg and ronnie, i'm glad i have fellow holgalovers among me. its such a fun new thing.