Monday, July 23, 2007

Word Wars: A documentary on Scrabble players

G.I. Joel is the Scrabble Champion of North America!
the GI represents his Gastro Intestinal problems. He has acid-reflux issues. (sweet thing.)

I watched Word Wars while I edited photos tonight, and WOW. These guys are hardcore.

The highlight of the film was the behind-the-scenes section that talked about why Joel and his dad wear suspenders, and how it is "not a fashion statement, but purely out of physical necessity". He has to wear loose pants because of his acid-reflux situation. Again, sweet thing.

This other guy goes on for 5 minutes about his BEST PLAY EVER. I pulled out an A and a T, the exact letters I needed, and then I paired them with a z-o-o-t-i... I layed them down... and that's where I lost him, but BOY did he ever have a good play.

A high percentage of the Scrabblers on the documentary don't have a job, and depend on contest-winnings in order to make a living. One guy enjoys being homeless, and likes to meditate in the park that he lives in when he's not studying for the next tournament.

And ohhh-the-studying they do! They thrive on anagrams, they study while they drive, they have very little social life (apart from the conventions) and they memorize the dictionary. Just the words, not the definitions. Apparently if they memorized the definitions "they'd go crazy".

Yeah, they'd better not memorize those definitions. We wouldn't want a bunch of crazy professional Scrabble players. Nooo no no.

I was inspired to rent this film because I love love love Spellbound and Wordplay. Spellbound is about spelling-bee kids and Wordplay is about crossword puzzlers. Brilliant films, to say the least.

Quir-ky and empowering. If they can be passionate and successful with Scrabble and Crossword puzzles... for crying out loud-- I should hope I can be passionate about people and art and life and breathing, you know?

6 comments:

Heather Leith said...

ooh, have you seen Akeelah and the Bee? melissa was an extra in it. its about a spelling bee.

Anonymous said...

the film sounds really cool!

thanks for the azooti tip, shannon... next time i'm playing my grandma i'm gonna crush her (spirit) when i play that word ;)

blythe said...

i TOTALLY have seen word wars!!!
jamie and i watched it like three years ago when he had netflix for a time. what an incredible documentary. i felt like it was a mock-mentary, but sooo much better because it was all serious! hilarious.

Shannon said...

I haven't seen Akeelah yet! I'll have to add it to my list!

Bradyyy. haaaaaaa.

Yeah-- blx, I agree-- it's kind of like a mockumentary.... the poor poor souls who are in it.

Hollie Shannon said...

oh you learn from everything... I love that about you!

And I'm glad you didn't say "if THEY can be passionate and successful with Scrabble and Crossword puzzles... for crying out loud I should be able to be passionate and successful with Scrabble and Crossword puzzles."

People, art, life, and breath are much more exhilerating. Love you.

Shannon said...

aww- hi hol :)
ha, lets start a scrabble night. eh?