Saturday, June 9, 2007

into photography? want some tips?

My friend Rosanna is in Scotland. She also just bought a camera. A digital SLR. Translation: it has a big lens, and will take great pictures-- that is, if you know how to use it.

One of my life missions is to help people take rad photos on their vacations. It sounds funny as I write it, but I think that there are a few key things that can help your photos become more unique-- more what you are actually seeing-- and less of that boring posed nonsense. Isn't it sad to spend all that money on a big trip, come back, show your family your pictures, and be crying because your photos dont adequately show the awe, the beauty, the utter BRILLIANCE of your experience? HAVE NO FEAR!

Here's a little card I made for Ro to carry with her throughout Scotland. (the thing is, I forgot to give it to her. So I'm blogging it to her.) We did a little 30 minute shoot together before she left, and these are reminders of things that I showed her in person.


So, pretty basic stuff, I know, but-- if you're one of those I just got a new digital camera and I want to take pictures not on the auto-mode and i want to have rockin photos that show how rockin of a life i have kind of people, this might be of help!

it will for Ro, at least. ;)

if you are touched, changed, confused, laughing at me, appalled at my way of explaining photography, or whatever-- let me know! i'm open to critique.

Shannon Charissa (ka-reese-ah) Leith

14 comments:

blythe said...

brilliant shan. i love the way the pictures of the card turned out. (proof that you know what you're doing)

Ellen said...

Shan,,,

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!

Just today, I was taking pics at my sisters graduation, and I needed your help.

And now I have it!!!!!!

THANK YOUUUUUUUUU>>>
and love.

Anonymous said...

way to be thoughtful shannon!

Sethicus said...

Awesome. One thing I would also mention for bright days is that using an extreme zoom will give an even more narrow range of focus (than the low aperture alone), which means it's often good to stand far away from subjects and zoom in close to get the artistic focus. :-) Counter-intuitive, but useful to know!

David T. Ulrich said...

i appreciate this.

especially the picture of the postcards - you are so fun.

Handsome Pearson said...

Shan, you are seriously awesome.

Matt Jensen said...

I just gotta say...I really love your photography.

Unknown said...

That's really cool! Now I want a copy of that "cheat sheet".

Shannon said...

good call seth. dude-- you're intense. that language makes me a little confused, but after reading it 5 times-- I totally agree. (!)

glad you like them david!

pears-- i am constantly amazed at your ownership of the name handsome pearson. you crack me UP.

thanks matt! lets blog about each other, eh?

Greg B-- ha, go for it. :) we should shoot together sometime! if you do that OC photographers get-together anytime soon, let me know.

Shannon said...

ha, blx-- yeah, if i messed up the photos of the photo-advice cards, we'd be in trouble.

love you el!!! i'm glad you read the responses! :)

brady-- i'm not sure if you're making fun of me or not. i'll take it like i see it, say thanks. but. if you're making fun of me.....

Anonymous said...

Don’t be self conscious, Shan. I wasn’t making fun... those cards are a nice thing to do :)

Rosanna Aijian said...

Oh my you are such a pal! Thanks so much the walk and hands on has given me such a new lens miss you and look forward to seeing you in a bit.

katy said...

hey this is katy (we met at osp socal) that's some great advice all packaged up nice, neat and ready to go. i think i'll print it out for my friends that ask how to take good photos... your blog is awesome by the way. fabulous stuff!

Shannon said...

hi katy!! you can use that card for whatever you want-- ha, they might get confused about Scotland, but whatever. :)

shannon