Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Worst Gyrad Ever

Meet at the Health Center at 9:30am on Tuesday.
That's all we told them.
A gyrad* on a TUESDAY MORNING? What???


Paul and Michelle.
Can I just tell you-- Paul did THE funniest things for 3 hours straight.The amazing Bethany and Josh
1) the Biola art Gallery (Jamie Uretsky's piece is incredible!)
2) the gas station ground

Me, Nate, the sprinkler.Nate's an art major too.
He likes linesWe bought lunch at Vons.
Instead of walking back to school at the end, we took the bus
We gave the guys fruit that we got from the cafe.
Paul actually ATE his lemon.Our new bug buddy
A couch on the side of the street?
Perfect.
I have had this idea in the works for 3 years now, ever since I got to Biola. Everyone tries to plan elaborate, AMAZING gyrads, and I thought-- why not just walk around and find things to do? It's always been in the back of my mind: What if we intentionally did the WORST gyrad possible? Which to me meant: no plan, inconvenient time, zero preparation, and less than $5.

In hearing my musings during drawing class one day, Bethany caught the vision. So did Michelle. So, yesterday we each invited a guy and told them to meet us at the health center in the next morning at 9:30.

Well, my vision has been brought to life, and it was one of the most spontaneous, fun mornings I've ever had! Yesss!! Seriously, 3 years. I have needed to do this for 3 years.

Nate, Josh, and Paul
thanks for embracing the idea and completely running with it. You guys rule.




* For non-Biolans, gyrads are casual dates that each floor does every semester.


Shannon Leith

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shan! I love the photos from the Worst GYRAD Ever! Thanks for sharing them with me. It looks like you ppl had a blast. I love the photo of you and Nate with stuff all over your face...and the bus photo as well as the couch and street photos...so pretty much every photo. I'm leaving you a really long comment becuase I rarely comment on your site and I should becuase I look at all your poictures and I like them, but I don't ever tell you. Tsk. Tsk. I should. Perhaps I just haven't gotten used to the format of how everything works on this site yet. Once I figure it out, then maybe I'll leave tons of comments. One can only hope! ;)--The Roommate

blythe said...

shan, isn't it antithetical to your purpose of having the worst gyrad ever to have the COOLEST pictures ever to document it?
that really was meant to be a compliment about your pictures, not an insult for not sticking with the theme...

love the sprinkler shot.

Hollie Shannon said...

I love it I love it I love it and I wish I had gone. hmmm I read an email from Eli over and over and over again tuesday morning... I guess it was pretty close to a date for two people who live on different continents. You rock shan.

Anonymous said...

There are no words, Shanny. No words.

Anonymous said...

P.S. That last comment was me.

Ellie

Anonymous said...

i. love. you. really. really. hard.

i'm just honored you would consider sharing your idea and executing it with me.

xoxo,
bethany