Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A few of my first real photos

My photography passion was ignited in high school. I was in a photo 1 class in 11th grade to fulfill an art requirement, and after a semester of utter confusion, it somehow began to make sense to me. It was so confusing because we had to use old cameras, shoot fully manual, develop our own film, and print our own photos in the darkroom. What a process to be thrown into! Well, a few months later I went on a trip to Kenya with my church, and brought along my Nikon N60-- a basic SLR film camera. My experience in Kenya was so liberating. I love the raw creativity that was in me throughout the trip. I remember being so inspired at every place we went. It seemed like I just saw SO much, and had no other option but to capture it through art. I got back, developed my 20 rolls of film over the next few days (I was so anxious that I ruined a few...), and these are a few of my favorites. It is now four years later (Its hard to believe that I went to Kenya at sixteen years old), and I still love going back to these images- the start of learning how to put to image what I saw with my eyes.



5 comments:

Mike Warren said...

Nice job, touching photos!! That must have been quite an opportunity! ++

Yunna said...

wow I really like this set of pictures. The black and white processing is awesome! Great compositions for these images--captures the mood of what's happening.++

Anonymous said...

These are really great photos! I must admit that I just recently started using the darkroom and I'm hooked! My current project is 5 rolls of film from my Holga on Route 66 in Arizona. I hope they come close to the quality of yours!

Jill Higgins said...

Wow - you were only 16 when you got those? I love the B&W. They all pull me in but the first one really does. I just love it. It conveys so much for me!

Unknown said...

shannon,
i love these photos. there are such powerful images. i am so excited to see what comes of this summer, and i hope you don't mind teaching me everything you know.
loveyou