Friday, January 19, 2007

bow to the 4x5

One of my favorite photography ventures has been learning to use the 4x5 large format camera. If you're not a photo fanatic like me, just think: the big accordian cameras on tripods with a black cloth to put over your head. Translated: they're very large, and very wonderful.

I explored the day-to-day lives of some of the girls on my floor by going to their room, setting up the camera, and taking a photograph of them in their real environment. These are all girls who live on my floor, the Max, where I am an RA. There were no outfit changes, no one cleaned up the mess on the floor, and I gave no direction as to how they were supposed to pose. I usually took the picture while we were having a conversation, without them noticing. I love the style of image that the 4x5 camera makes. I didn't do any retouching or adjustments. The authenticity of each person that came through is so beautiful to me.

My inspiration: Alec Soth.

Jen

Annelise

Jesse

Lindsay and Juli

Rosanna and Beth

Melissa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey shan, i love your blog. it is really fun and HILARIOUS! i especially love the book journals-those are AWESOMEEE. oh- my fiddler auditions are febuary 12-14, so the callbacks are on the 17th. let me know when you want to have a sleepover!! anytime works for me. i love you! love heath

Tim Halberg said...

I freaking LOVE my 4x5!!! and alas, I'm going to be selling it... sad I know :-(

Thanks for giving me a glimpse at how much fun the 4x5 can be!

Carole Foret said...

Shannon, your work is amazing,but your sweet spirit at age 20 is just infectios! Love what you did with your 4x5--I think it's great that there is still a way for young folks to learn more about the origins of photography. Do you work in the darkroom? That's where I started and wanted to stay, BUT...no longer. In some ways I miss it, but digital brings in the money ALOT faster. So...Stay sweet!

Carole

Shannon said...

carole-- yeah, i work in the darkroom. well, i did in high school and a few years ago. i have a friend who wants to learn, so i hope to head in there again this semester. should be fun! i can spend entire nights in that place. mmm. thank you for your words :)