Thursday, March 20, 2008

my spiritual space

this is one of those posts where i feel like i want to write a novel, but i'm going to have to take a deep breath and just have these few words and few images suffice for something that has a lot of layers for me.

in 3D design class, we had to make a maquette of an experimental prayer chapel: a chapel that pushes the traditional boundaries of how we think about spiritual space.

usually projects take me forever to start (I'm too analytical, too full of doubt, too scared).... but as my professor explained our assignment the first day, this image just came to me.
so i went with it.
I went with my impulse and made this dome; a space to just be.
...and now i'm in love with everything miniature.
these photos are kind of weirdly grey looking
but i'm too tired to fix it right now
and probably 99% of you didnt notice
maybe.
wood, plaster, lots of power tools, and a balloon covered with cheesecloth and glue. and fake grass. and fake people.
you lay inside of it
its like a live planetarium
A HILL
A TREE
a pink suited woman making the pilgrimage
its like a Science Bible AND Art project.


take some time today to just be
thats my own advice to my own busy self.
shannon

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love that you used cheesecloth :)

Ellen said...

I wish I were a miniature lady in a pink suit to go and lay down in your prayer chapel cheesecloth heaven.

Have a good break!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon, love the way that you just went with an excellent idea and found that it was really GREAT! You don't need to have any doubts if this is the kind of thing that comes out of your heart and soul!!! love it and love you...GR mA

Annie Smith said...

i want to go! i want to go! its like as a child always dreaming of laying in the clouds!!!

Sotopia concepts said...

Hi Shannon, nice maquette! Next time you might consider 3D printing as a technique to produce maquettes. 3D printing in full color is a possibility too.

cheers
rene
sotopiaconcepts.com

Heather Leith said...

i want to go! submit this prototype to the administration or something. then, by the time i inhabit biola in 2012, it will be all built and i can lay in it whenever i please and think about god and my sister the architect.

Teri said...

love it!

Anonymous said...

haha oh this is WAY cooler than what i imagined in my head.

can ijust tell you that you definitely made me laugh and laugh with the "you lay inside of it" and the picture of the little mini woman just lying down inside.

hahaha i'm laughing again at the memory.

<3 so much. linds.