Monday, February 26, 2007

Self-Portrait Drawing

I've put off taking a drawing class until now-- my junior year. I was supposed to take it as a freshman, but was too scared since all I knew was photography. Drawing? AHHHHH! Yeah right!!

Well, it turns out I've been convinced. I'm in my 4th week of figure drawing class, and drawing the human form is developing a new way for me to see...there's just something different about taking 6 hours with a piece of paper and some pencils to come up with an image than the 2 seconds it takes to click the shutter on my camera. Spending that much time looking sure provides an opportunity for a deep, careful study of what's really there.



I'm realizing I look practically dead in this picture. It's 4am.
In case you can't tell, I'm on the left, the drawing is on the right. hah.


Shannon Leith

8 comments:

blythe said...

shan, i'm amazed by your drawings. all these years and neither of us knew you had it in you.
the portrait is incredible.

don't take this the wrong way, but that last picture of you with the drawing reminds me of your "serious face" in your senior portraits...ha.

by the way, san diego trip being postponed until next weekend means i can't go to magritte on saturday. could you go friday?

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!

And you even look good for it being 4am :)

TheHuntsAreRad said...

Shannon! This is Katie Shannon, we went to HSM together! You are an amazing photographer as well as artist! Keep up the fabulous blogs my lady!

Brent said...

Great portrait. More talent all the time.
As an artist, 4am should be nothing for you. But I suppose that look goes with being an artist too.

Shannon said...

ha- yeah brent-- I am not quite the ULTIMATE art major. I fall asleep at about 10 if I'm not careful.

Katie-- wow! How fun to hear from you!

Brady, why thank you.

Blx- love.

Jill Higgins said...

Hey Shannon,

Nice drawings!

You're the winner in the St. Patrick's Day contest. If you will send me your mailing address, I will send the prize your way! :) Jill

You can just email the address to me at jill@jillhiggins.com

http://jillhigginsphotography.blogspot.com/2007/02/st-patricks-day-contest.html

Hollie Shannon said...

Ahh I posted a comment and then biola's silly authentication thing got in the way. Anyway, This is awesome Shan! In Romania my friend Ioana drew my portrait as a way I could remember her (though people probably think I'm a bit narcissistic with a giant, framed self portrait hanging on my wall...oh well). It reminds me of her, and of the hourse I sat still while she drew me. Drawing people is hard, but you are good already!

honored to know you.
Love you,
me

Heather Leith said...

wow, this is amazing! i remember at HCS you were in 8th grade and you drew a self portrait... it would be fun to compare the two!